I have now seen the film twice (dying for a third round!) and I need to dump out my thoughts and observations somewhere, so here I am. It’s been a few days since my viewings, and I’m currently reading the novelization in hopes of gaining more insight. I’ve been adding to these notes since my initial viewing, but I think I’m finally done and can share my thoughts. I have so missed having something I can theorize on, hoo boy. I have a LOT of thoughts and questions. (This is reaction post, not a review! That will come later.) SPOILERS AFTER THE GIF!
First and foremost, I am 1000% convinced that Rey is Luke’s daughter and here is why:
- In her AT-AT home, she has an X-Wing pilot doll that she made as well as a fighter pilot helmet that she puts on briefly. The helmet looks like Luke’s but isn’t his; Jakku is littered with debris so she probably found the helmet there and kept it because it reminded her of her father.
- The lightsaber is basically a family heirloom, passing down from parent to child, and it is calling to her specifically. She touches it, and suddenly we get a Force vision and flashbacks. Flashbacks dealing specifically with LUKE. Maz Kanata says the person that she is waiting for will not come back, but there is someone who can and Rey says, “Luke.” This, to me, implies that her memories might have been altered for her protection and that before this scene, she only had fragments. One or both of her parents left her on Jakku; one is (probably) dead and one is not. By keeping Rey away, Luke is protecting her (although this desert foster system really doesn’t work very well). If her parents are of no importance, then there is no reason not to show them.
- Who else was hidden for protection? Ah yes, LUKE and Leia.
- How did Maz come into possession of the lightsaber? Was it given to her for safekeeping? I’m fairly certain she’s alive, so I hope we get that story. The chest it’s in seems to be the one owned by Obi-Wan Kenobi in A New Hope.
- Lor San Tekka could be her ‘watcher’ as Obi-Wan was to Luke. Why else is he there? He knows Kylo Ren’s true identity and he has the missing piece of R2’s map. I’d like to know more about him. According to the SW databank, he helped Luke recover some Jedi lore that the Empire tried to erase and is a follower of the Church of the Force, whatever the heck that is.
- Rey piloted the Falcon without having a co-pilot, which is pretty interesting. Both Luke and Anakin were super awesome pilots. Anakin tapped into the Force while piloting without even realizing that that is what he was doing. Rey appears to be doing the same.
- Leia sent Rey to Luke rather than go herself and I feel like that is significant.
- In the second teaser trailer, they sample Luke’s line from ROTJ: “The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it.” Followed by, “YOU HAVE THAT POWER, TOO.”
- This Luke Skywalker toy comes with ‘desert armor’ that looks strikingly similar to what Rey wears. Coincidence? Possibly, but I’d like to think it is intentional. Additionally, Rey’s clothing resembles Anakin’s in The Phantom Menace, and Luke’s in A New Hope. It also resembles the early concept art for the ‘Starkiller hero’.
- Luke appears to be standing next to a grave at the end — ancient Jedi grave(s) or Rey’s mother? WHO IS SHE?
- THE MUSICAL CUES. When Rey pulls the lightsaber out of the snow, we hear notes of “Binary Sunset”, which is associated with Luke.
- LUKE WAS ‘A NEW HOPE’. REY IS THE ONE IN WHICH THE FORCE AWAKENED. Also, the meaning of the name Luke is “light”, so could Rey be a “ray of light”? 😉 Alternately, this person has an interesting take.
- One of the central questions of the original trilogy ended up being, “Who is Darth Vader?” and there was this article in EW about the question of The Force Awakens/the sequel trilogy being, “Who is Luke Skywalker?” Well the answer to the first question was, “Luke Skywalker’s father.” Think about it for a minute.
- Star Wars is ultimately the story of the Skywalker family and it just wouldn’t make sense for her to be anyone else. She can’t be Han and Leia’s kid because they would have reacted to her differently. And this theory of them being mind-wiped to forget her is nonsense, in my opinion.
- Luke’s and Rey’s faces when they’re looking at each other at the end says it all.
Luke felt Han’s death, there is no question. I’m extremely saddened that they will never see or speak to each other again. I kind of suspected that that might happen because Harrison Ford has been saying for years that he thought Han should have died in Return of the Jedi. His character dying was the only way he would have done this film. And while it is sad, I do understand the importance of it in context, as well. It was not at all meaningless. It was heartbreaking that even after Ben did what he did, Han still caressed his face with love. (Ah shit I’m getting misty.) And also how the lighting on Kylo Ren’s face was bathed in red by the end of the scene, all “light” visually gone.
I was wondering about why R2-D2 woke when he did and I had a couple of ideas, but then I saw this article that actually explains it. He’s just so old and been powered down for so many years at this point that it took him a long time to “wake up” after BB-8’s initial contact. It also explains what the other points on the map are: locations of Jedi temples throughout the galaxy, which were obtained during the time he plugged into the Death Star. Still curious as to why the one piece was removed and when. (When we see Luke’s hand on R2?)
Kylo Ren is a pissbaby who does not presently have my sympathy at all, however, I do feel bad for him somewhat. I’m not sure what his motive is, but he would be a disappointment to Anakin. I half want the ghost of Anakin Skywalker to come slap some sense into his ass. He crossed a line by killing Han. Even as Darth Vader, Anakin would never hurt his family like that. Maim to make a point, sure, but he would never have murdered a family member. In fact, he was ready to overthrow the Emperor the moment he found out his child was alive, a feeling which intensified when he found out there were actually two. I really need to know what went wrong with this guy; why did he turn? Can he be redeemed? If he is, it won’t be until the third act. Mostly, I feel awful for his parents and his uncle; it obviously ruined his parents’ relationship. And poor Luke…it must have been his greatest fear come true. I KNOW they didn’t keep Anakin’s redemption a secret. It just wouldn’t make sense.
When and why did Han leave? I feel like Han left after Ben turned because he and Leia were so hurt by that that they had to part ways. They didn’t seem angry at each other, so for Han to have left before Ben turned doesn’t really make sense to me. I feel like their son’s fall split them apart, but obviously they still care deeply for one another. MY FEELS. The only couple I will ever refer to as my ‘OTP’ is destroyed. When Leia felt it, I couldn’t handle it.
Observation: Ben Solo/Kylo Ren was likely conceived shortly after the Battle of Endor, making him 25-30 years old. Rey is said to be “nearly twenty” in the novelization. In her Force vision/flashback, she appeared to be about five; Ben could’ve been between 15-20 when he turned. And this tweet by Pablo Hidalgo seems to confirm my suspicions.
Who are the “Knights of Ren”? Are they other fallen/turned Jedi? We only got a glimpse of them in Rey’s vision. Only Ben/Kylo Ren seems to have a lightsaber.
I’m going to cry so much when Luke and Leia reunite. FML.
Recently saw a news blurb where Kathleen Kennedy confirmed all three original main cast members will be back…so that’s interesting. Flashbacks for Han?
Captain Phasma, was totally underused! But according to Kathleen Kennedy in this article, she is a very important character who will be returning.
I’d love to see Leia confront her son in a lightsaber duel please. (As long as it’s not a fatal confrontation for her!)
Would kind of love to see Lando and/or Wedge make an appearance, even if it’s just a brief one. I mean we got to see Akbar and Nien Nunb.
At first I wondered if General Hux made it off Starkiller Base alive or met the same fate as Grand Moff Tarkin, but I’m pretty sure he did escape because of the whole “entire cast returning” news. Also, what’s HIS deal?
Who the FUCK is Snoke? Why does he project so large? I hope he’s actually really short. Does he have any connection with Palpatine? “Snoke” on the soundtrack is reminiscent of “Emperor’s Throne Room” from ROTJ and “Palpatine’s Teachings” from ROTS. His face is scarred and/or burnt. Did he possibly fight Luke? This would partially explain why he has such a vendetta against him. I’ve seen some people bandying about the idea that he’s actually Darth Plagueis, but he was supposedly murdered by Palpatine, so that’s a bit far fetched to me? But since Plagueis supposedly discovered the secret to conquering death, I suppose it’s plausible and would be an interesting thing to tie all of the films together.
It’s been confirmed now to be both him and Alec Guinness, but I freaking KNEW that was Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan in Rey’s vision! That part gave me chills and it’s one of my favourite sequences in the film.
BB-8!! I lOVE HIM!!! Precious little droid babby.